Consulting Tools - Thinking, Modeling, and Inquiry

Posted on 11/24/2008 by Rajeev Singh

Ever wonder what tools make a consultant effective? It may be a long list. If you read The Opposable Mind - How Successful Leaders Win Through Integrative Thinking, it is obvious that consultant would benefit from most of the process techniques that Roger Martin talks about in this book. The three that stood out for me are:

  • Generative Thinking - Pondering along the lines of 'what might be'
  • Causal Modeling - What causes Something, and what's the purpose of that Something
  • Assertive Inquiry - Asking questions that encourages dialog, rather than shut it down
The Process of Thinking and Deciding is a good revelation of how a lot of us reach decisions. Recollecting my interactions on past engagements, it is quite obvious that these patterns have serviced me well. I was, until now, unaware of their interdependence and collective power. 
Going forward, it'll likely serve me as a good framework for interviewing candidates who aspire to be consultants. I have never been subjected to an interview myself where someone tried to assess these skills. That clearly demonstrate how much little we understand and value the utility of these tools in our professional lives, or so it seems.

No Response to "Consulting Tools - Thinking, Modeling, and Inquiry"